Do you want to get rid of those boggy and wrinkles underneath your eyes? When the laser, eye balm , and make up stop working, it is time to consider lower eyelid surgery as an option.
With age, our skin loses elasticity and wrinkles start showing. The gravity pulls intra-orbital fat down and pushes against skin on the lower eyelid is responsible for the bulging..
This wrinkled, puffy, and baggy appearance of the lower eyelid can be corrected by lower eyelid surgery to restore the youthful and fresh looking. Dr. Yuan is an eyelid surgeon who perform lower eyelid surgery in his office.
- What is lower eyelid surgery?
- When to consider lower eyelid surgery?
- The procedure of lower blepharoplasty?
- Are there any risks in this surgery?
- What is its recovery time?
- The total cost of the procedure?
- What is pinch eyelid surgery?
Lower blepharoplasty (Lower eyelid surgery)
The lower eyelid surgery is also known as eye bag surgery or lower blepharoplasty. It is a surgical procedure for the correction of excess fat, skin, and wrinkles, in the lower eyelid area.
To make the lower eyelids appear more youthful and rejuvenated, an incision underneath the lower eyelashes. Through this incision, excess skin and fat are removed to eliminate the puffy appearance that exists and to provide a taut, more attractive appearance. In some instances where only fat tissue needs to be removed, the incision can be placed inside the lower eyelid that will be virtually unnoticeable. After the desired look is achieved, the incisions are sutured.
What lower blepharoplasty can correct?
This surgery is basically done for cosmetic purposes by improving the sagging, bagging, or wrinkles of the lower eyelid.
It can help in treating the following:
- Bag under your eyes.
- Removing excess skin and fine wrinkles.
- Bulging from fat around your eyelids.
- Dark circles.
Before going for surgery
Lower eyelid surgery is important for your youthful look. Choose an experienced cosmetic surgeon for this like Dr. Yuan.He is an experienced cosmetic surgeon working on lower eyelid fixing for many years now.
Make an appointment and then at your initial visit your detailed information such as your medical history, past or present health issues, and any medications, or allergies will be addressed.
Dr. Yuan will also do a detailed examination of your eyes and the area around your eyes. He will also evaluate the fat or excess skin around your eyes then do some tests if needed. After the detailed information and examination, it will be decided whether you are a candidate for this surgery or not.
You may also ask Dr. Yuan if there are any other specific preparations needed before your procedure. Once you are ready, schedule your procedure with Dr. Yuan. He will further give you instructions before surgery.
Answers for common lower eyelid surgery questions
- The surgery can be performed in an outpatient center or office
- The duration of the procedure is about 1 hour to 2 hours.
- The procedure is usually done under local anesthesia with or without sedation. Both will keep your discomfort level to the minimum throughout your procedure.
- You might be advised for IV sedation if you concern about potential discomfort
- Lower eyelid surgery can be performed with upper eyelid surgery at the same time.
The procedure of lower blepharoplasty
- An incision can be made either on the inner surface of the eyelid or below the lower eyelash in front.
- Beneath the incision, there is excess fat, or skin.
- Those excess tissues will be removed.
- If there is a need for fixing of muscle and tendons of the eyelid is done.
- In the end, the incision of your eyelid will be closed with fine stitches.
- If the incision is made on the inner surface of your eye it will not show up from the front.
- If the incision is made below the eyelash it will be visible from the front initially. These will absorb on their own leaving no scar visible in the long run.
After surgery expectations
After the procedure, you will be monitored in the recovery room for any immediate issues. Mostly you can be discharged home on the same day in the late evening. You may experience the following but they will all be temporary.
- Excessive water from eyes.
- The blurring of vision from the lubricating ointment applied to your eyes.
- The sensitivity of eyes to light.
- Swelling and numbness around the eye area.
- Discomfort or pain.
- Bruising for 7-10 days.
There are risks involved in every invasive procedure. Potential risks of lower eyelid surgery may include:
- Residue wrinkles or fat
- Scleral show
Most of these risks and complications will spontaneously resolve over a short period of time. Follow up with Dr. Yuan at least up to three months.
Lower eyelid surgery recovery
Once you are being sent home you must follow the guidelines for your recovery as well as the medication schedule as advised by your surgeon. General guidelines may include:
- Clean your eyelids incision regularly and gently.
- Use advised eye ointments and drops at the same interval.
- Apply ice packs on your eyes 10 -15 minutes several times each day for the first two days.
- Use Arnica gel or pills.
- Keep your head elevated on 2 pillows during sleep.
- Avoid smoking.
- Avoid doing strenuous exercises such as weight lifting, jogging, etc. for at least a week.
- Don’t rub your eyes.
- If you are a swimmer, delay your sessions for at least a week.
- Avoid direct sunlight on your eyelids for that purpose. Use eye shades.
- Don’t wear your contact lenses for 15 days.
- Go to your follow up appointments as scheduled.
Cost of lower eyelid surgery
The total cost for the surgical procedure is around $3000. This doesn’t include general anesthesia or IV sedation. You are welcome to contact us to check the seasonal promotion rate that can give you a good discount.
What is pinch eyelid surgery?
The pinch eyelid surgery was coined and popularized by Dr.Lorne Rosenfield. It is a surgical technique that only eliminates excess skin from the lower eyelids without removing fatty tissues or muscles that lie beneath. The amount of skin can be removed is judged by pinching the redundant skin together without causing scleral show. It could be done with transconjunctival fat removal for selective patients. During the consultation, Dr. Yuan will explain to you about the best plan for you.
Why choose us?
Dr. Yuan has been performing cosmetic eyelid surgery for over 10 years. You can click here to see our real patients’ results.